Prepare for a Safe Move During Winter
February 17th, 2023
FEBRUARY 17, 2023📷What a surprise to discover Packy visiting the desert museum in Tucson. When questioned, he said he went to Arizona to help a friend move to Iowa. His friend was concerned about moving during the winter. So, of course, Packy was delighted to share moving tips.
- No matter what time of year you move, you’ll want to make a checklist. Your list might include categories such as: what needs to be done a month ahead, two weeks, one week, and the day of the move. Also, create columns for items to be moved and items to be given away or discarded. Checklists can be found online.
- Winter is usually off-season for professional movers, so discounts may be available.
- Make sure your own vehicle or your rental vehicle is winter ready with safe tires and an all-over vehicle check. Winter storms can take you by surprise so don’t forget blankets, flashlight, first aid kit, toolkit, shovel, jumper cables, ice scraper, and non-perishable snacks.
- Be mindful of the forecast and keep your roadside help provider info handy.
- Clear snow from driveway and entry for easy and safe access.
- Protect your floors from melted snow, salt, and sand. Lay down floor mats over heavy traffic areas while moving.
Here’s a couple bonus tips:
- Use suitable packing supplies. Boxes made specifically for packing are sturdier than boxes from the grocery store. Also, grocery store boxes may come with hidden critters like spiders, roaches, or beetles. Boxes of the same size are easier to stack.
- Use packing tape as opposed to masking tape. Tape all four sides of your boxes rather than folding in the flaps. And, be sure to label each box.
Packy suggests talking with Jocee at Prairie Life Storage for your moving needs. Contact Jocee at 319-260-2275 or visit the website at https://www.prairielifestorage.com/contact-us
Storage 4 Life